Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hsu gi, green, size 3

I'm short and curvy, 5'2", usually about 125-130lbs, 34-27-38ish. I'll edit this post with pictures at a later date. Just feeling guilty about not reviewing my gis.

I got this gi from my sponsor, Mark Severtson at Badgerland Jiu Jitsu in Madison WI. It came in a brilliant emerald green color but has faded (in part because I bleach on occasion) to a bright celery-lime color which is still nice. I am considering re-dyeing it to get the emerald back though.

The Hsu isn't sized on the A1-6 system like other jits gis are-- I wear a 3 in the Hsu. The jacket is a little bit lighter than some, so I'd say it's about a gold weave or a crystal weave, but not as light as a single weave. The pants are uber-silky smooth and a little on the light side. They might be a tad easy to grip for competition, but I did wear them at NAGA and there wasn't a noticeable effect in my eyes. The jacket lapels are nice and thick.

I always wash my gis on hot and machine dry them, so I can say how much they'll shrink. This one didn't shrink much at all... about 1" lengthwise in the pants, maybe 1-1 1/2" in the sleeve length, but both pants and sleeves started a little on the long side so it's still quite roomy. I think the jacket is a little fuller than some so I do get quite a bit of crossover when I belt it.

It does not come with any patches; the stitching is well done and in the year or so I've had the gi, I haven't had any seam unraveling or the like. The pants drawstring is self-fabric and really easy to tighten and loosen.

I really like training with this gi in the hotter months.

I'll post pics soon. Good god, don't think you need to watch the video, but here's me competing in this gi last May. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment